A long history of construction done right
Henry Carlson Construction’s history began when Henry Carlson, Sr. immigrated to the United States in 1900. He began in the construction industry as a laborer and later worked as a skilled stonemason. With this construction knowledge, he joined with William A. Snitkey to form the Carlson-Snitkey Construction Company in 1919.
In 1924, Henry Carlson acquired full ownership and the company was renamed the Henry Carlson Company. The company grew rapidly and by the 1930s it was already considered one of the largest building and construction companies in the state of South Dakota. Under the leadership of Henry Carlson, Sr. the company began constructing many of the landmark buildings throughout the state.
Henry Carlson, Jr. first started with the company as a laborer in 1943. After serving in World War II he joined the company permanently in 1950. He took over as president following the death of his father in 1961.
Continuing in the family-owned tradition, Henry “Chip” Carlson, III, joined his father in the business as a carpenter’s apprentice in the late 1970s. Chip later earned a degree in Construction Management from the University of Louisiana at Monroe. He moved into the company’s management team in 1982 and was vice president of the company until 2006, when he became the president of the company. Chip is the owner of the company. Dave Derry is the chairman of the company.
Today, Henry Carlson Construction continues to be one of the largest commercial construction employers in the state. The company bids or negotiates work on all sizes and types of commercial construction—from new buildings to additions to renovations.